Monday, April 17, 2006

Patterson Lands 1848-1894 in Michigan

I'm still trying to find more information on g-g-grandfather: Joseph Patterson (b. 1793). He came from Ireland at age 19 and married Katrine (Catherine) Jagger (daughter of Stephen and Sarah Jagger)in Orange County, New York. They had eight children before moving to Michigan in 1848. Mary Patterson married Charles Ellworth and lived on 80 acres on the NorthEast of Devil's Lake in a nice house.

Other sons, Joseph F. and William L. Patterson lived on acreage further east on this land in Woodstock Township (Lenawee County) Michigan. My g-grandfather (Robert C. Patterson) moved westward to Hillsdale County. I still haven't learned what ever happened to all this land.

In 1893 John J Patterson has sections 25, 35, 36; 236 acres; five buildings valued at $4500; acreage valued at $50 an acre; value of land and improvements: $11, 800; 161 acres were improved; 60 acres were timbered; 3 acres were orchard. John had married Eliza Ellsworth and she inherited the land from her Grandfather Nehemiah Hand. That's why I wonder if any of these people are buried in the Hand Cemetery in Woodstock.

In 1893, William Patterson's land was in section 36; 80 acres; 6 buildings valued at $1000; acreage value: $50 an acre; value of land and improvements: $4,000; 62 improved acres; 18 timbered acres; 3 acres of orchard.

Joseph F. Patterson married Lucy Hollen. I don't know where they moved. Catherine Patterson married Theron Andrews and moved to Scranton, Kansas. CLICK HERE for more information on this family.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marlys said...

Have you received the information you wanted. I am from Lenawee County and my Grandmother was a Hand. We have not established whether Nehemiah Hand was related but I can send you pictures of graves in Hand Cemetery if you like.

9:52 AM  
Blogger pastorob said...

Marlys,

Thank you so much for leaving a response here. It has been several years now since I did all of this research on my family (the Pattersons. Two of their children married siblings from the Ellsworth family. I did travel to Lenawee county around that time and found the Ellsworth house that I mentioned in the post above. I also saw a small cemetery across the road with a gravestone that had a Patterson there. Funny, there were flowers on it? Wondered who it could be who left flowers. I would love to see any photos you have as this was an intriguing hobby (especially with the internet's potential to allow connection with 'cousins' who are out there). I saw a 'broken link' above so here is a revised link to a page I made... it may or may not reference Nehemiah Hand but it does have 'Woodstock' stuff: http://pastorob.com/doctorob_files/Doctorob%20Research%20for%20Prospectus/1855_Joseph_Patterson_to_William_Patterson.htm

my email is: pastorob@gmail.com

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home