Monday, April 10, 2006

Joe Patterson in Liberia February 15-28, 2006

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Today I again helped with the documents we prepared for World Orphans. The files that we scanned yesterday had to be scaled down for transmission over the Internet. As a result, some of them were no longer easy to read. Because of this, I suggeste to type out the information and send it in a different form. The lesson is that sometimes things take longer or have to be done alternative ways, but the work will be completed. I am a valuable asset even with my basic computer knowledge, typing skills, and creative ideas. Also, just having another helper is a great benefit to Pastor Wesley.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Today we went to the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to check on the progress of the adoption license. No rel progress has been made as far as the processing, but Pastor is still helpful.

Friday, Februay 17, 2006

Today I helped Pastor write more of his scripts for his planned radio program: Biblical Advice. There will be many different topics covered including 'The Role and Chain of Authority', 'What Faith Is and Does', 'Sharing Your Faith', and 'Personal Purity'.

This has been one of Pastor's interests since we first met him in 2002. We have watched DVDs like 'Hotel Rwanda' and 'Sometimes in April'. Both of these show how radio has been used to create strife and viloence in Africa. It is a terrible thing when hatred and lies are broadcast to people. Pastor has a burden to share the truth of the Bible.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Today I typed more scripts for Pastor Wesley. I have found that this is beneficial in multiple ways. For Pastor, he has expressed how his ideas can flow more smoothly. I know that it is helpful for me to type as it speed sp the process. Also, it is helpful for me to be challenged by the words that i type. I am reminded about all the lessons I have learned and my mind has to respond and choose to obey what I am receiving.We also sent these scripts over email in hopes of gathering support for the Radio Program. I am reminded about the necessity for spiritual recovery. The U.N. broadcast programs on Health and Social Issues, but true healing, life, and reconciliation can only come after a relationship with God.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

I have a minor cut on my foot, but it needs to have air. So it was suggested that I not go to Service this morning as it would have to be covered for an extended time. It rained last night, so the roads are a bit harder to manage than normal.On the radio I heard more reports about religious tolerance, free speech, and protests over cartoons depicting Mohammed. I am reminded athat the world is bigger than the U.S. and American Christians. Part of my desire for this journey is to find my place and understand my God. It is time for a personal relationship. No longer can I accept life and live on the faith of others.

Today, I wrote an autobiographical sketch as directed by my Devotional Schedule. The original copy is logged on this day in my spiral bound journal.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Today we once again went to the Ministry of Health to follow up on the adoption license. We took letters expressing our past actions and are beginning files to keep records in case Pastor must go to court. We heard from the Deputy Minister that they do not want to do any more licensing now. Then we went to take copies to the minister. He wanted to have a meeting with all of us, but Vivian had gone to a meeting. Minister wants to have us wait and call back after Vivian is confirmed. Pastor is going to meet with a radio station tonight. I played more games with the children and told the story of the boy who cried wolf.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Today I was able to help Pastor Wesley in a few practical ways. First, there were problems with the transmission of the applicatation for the new addition at the Children's Home. Also, I helped him answer gmails about the proposed visit of Pastor Ken Hendon (from Stockton, California) and Parlee Halfin (a Licensed Vocational Nurse from Galt, California).

Another ministry today was to help Junior Boy learn to read. He knows his letters and can spell words that he has memorized. I began tring to teach him phonics so he could sound out words.I also helped Pastor prepare a slideshow for the ministry.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Today I spent part of the day playing games with the children wihile Pstor took the printer into town to get it fixed.I also treid to contact some organizations to see if I could find one to assist the Greater Love Bible Baptist Church, the Children's Home, the Christian School, or Medical Clinic. There are many groups working but most have their own plans and agendas. They want to start all of their own projects.

So far, I have been inspired by World Orphans as they have both the success and accountability necessary to attract donors and the opennes and insight to make the funds accessible to people who already want to do the work. It makes more sense for me to equip someone who is already working than to hire, train, and seek an area for new workers.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Today I spent most of the day around the Pstor's house. He went into town to run some errands.The Children's School is closed for the semester and their mom was meeting her sisiter who has been in the U.S. for 15 years. I learned the national anthem. The girls sang it to me. I met several of the children's friends.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Today I helped Pastor Wesley answer emails about his hope for a radio station in Liberia and trying to gain additional support.I read the Book of Job and seem to be making some progress in my understanding of God's Ways (that it is not guaranteed to have peace) and that no one can judge God.I also tried to help Roland sign up for the SATs on the Internet. Unfortuantely the codes for Libeira would not work on the registration.

Matthew Kpau and I listened to the Radio News from the UNMIL. It is broadcast in English, Simple English, and also in French:"The U.S. is suporting Liberia to bring electricity," says a California Representative.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Today I began reading 'The Mask of Anarchy' by Stephen Ellis. It has many interesting elements about Liberia in general and particularly address many of the religious aspects of Liberia's Civil War. It is interesting for me to read about some of their traditional rites of passage into adulthood and how religion was used as a political tool to adi in convincing fighters that they were not in lethal danger.Also completed todaywere increased security measures at the Pastor's home. The practical side of being in Liberia is that door need locks and main doors need steel gates. High walls are quite common and window bars are also necessary. While it is God who protects us, the use use of precautions andsafeguards are good stewardship that will graurd against the one who steals, kills, and destroys.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Today we had service at the Greater Love Bible Baptist Church. The message was from Luke 12:13-21, the story of the productive farmer who had not considered God in his planning (and in spite of his plans was going to die).The main topics linked from this verse was an admonition to not desire the goods of this world without desiring God first.

One example of the problems that can occur without considering God was the mention of the Civil War. It was a war for goods. If people did not believe they could get some things, they would not have fought.Even in a country like the U.S., without the remembrance of recent war, we can see how covetousness, greed, and the actions of those who do not seek God's Will first lead to quarrels and a wasted life.

Practical: Late for Service Taxi not always convenient.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Today I was able to read more of the Mask of Anarchy and communicate more with those who care about me at home in Galt (and friends around the world).Work began today on the foundation for the Boy's Dormitory at the Children's Home. This will be useful as it will allow for a separate building to house the boys and will also provide for the expansion of Operations as more children can occupy the facilities. In addition, the porch may be used for additional classrooms as the range of lessons become broader.We have been communicating with John from Addy's Adoption Agency and are trying to resolve the license situation.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Today we went to the Minstry of Health to meet with the Deputy Minister of Health and Social Welfare. She would not see us because she said she was upset by our letter mentioning our frustration and possible court action.Next we went to see the Minister in hopes that he would compel the Deputy Minister to meet with us all together to openly resolve whatever issue is delatying the receipt of the adoption license. The Minister is busy.We met Bill Murry, a white man who suggested we write a new application that he would deliver since he also meets with the Deputy Minister. We left to run this errand.Well, we were actually able to meet with the Minister and Deputy Minister who made it clear that they do not want to license more adoption agencies--but that independent adoption remains a possibility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home