Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Joe Patterson in Liberia March 16-29, 2006

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Tonight I was able to spend more time talking with Samuel S. Monyou. He attends the Methodist Church and is in the 7th grade.

I was also able to have a live Internet chat with a morning Bible Study in California. Club 163 meets in the Pastor's home in Galt, California. They have been praying for me specifically and have been meeting daily at 6:00 a.m. to read daily devotions from Blackaby's "Experiencing God" and Warren's "Purpose Driven Life".

It is a great encouragement to have them engaged and committed to Bible Study and Prayer while we are experiencing these 80 Days. One of the members, Miss Parlee Halfin, has agreed to come and work at the Clinic for a year. Today, we spent some more time encouraging her and expressed the need for a jeep for Pastor Wesley.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Today I assisted Pastor Wesley by writing a contract between the works and the Greater Love Children's Home.Though they were already engaged through a verbal agreement to complete the 5-bedroom Boy's Dormitory, it will be of value to have a written document in case there are further problems (or any confusion in communication).Hopefully, this agreement will keep the workers attentive to their task so that they will finish it by next Saturday. I also performed additional communications activities, answering emails, etc.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Today Pastor Wesley and I went out in a Taxi with the sign posts we had made--along with the ingredients to dig holes, plant the posts, and prepare cement to secure the poles. This was quite an arrangement as it involved transporting water, cement, rocks, poles, and a large iron digger rod.A suitable location for the signposts would be a place well-traveled by people on foot and near the church. When we arrived a site that suited the sign posts' purpose we selected a spot with a spot with soil that was not too tough. We then unloaded the rocks, cement, poles, digger, and shovel. We dug the hole, then mixed the cement. About this time we would have the opportunity to explain that the signpost was for Greater Love Bible Baptist Church and offer some basic information to those who stood by observing the installation.We planted the initial six poles, but there are plans to keep this ongoing--spreading into neighboring communities. The messages themselves could be updated in the future. These messages are laminated and share many reasons why one should consider attending the Greater Love Bible Baptist Church.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Today was my ninth service at the Greater Love Bible Baptist Church. There were about 47 people at Service today and about 16 in Children's Church. Today's Sunday School Lesson was on 1 Peter 5:9-14. The main points I gathered were that God allows suffering, but we are not alone. Brothers are suffering all over the world. God will perfect us through suffering.

Two of the hymns we sang today were "Stand Up, Stand Up" and "Standing On the Promises". These along with choruses make up the musical service and accompaniment is limited to voice, hand-clapping, tambourines, and shakers. It seems like most/all of the people sing.

Intermittently throughout the service, the speaker may say "Hallelujah?! " or "...in Jesus' Name," To these remarks, the congregation is conditioned to respond: "Amen." Interactive?

The sermon was on Heaven from John 14, Matthew 6:20 and Luke 10:20. It encouraged the congreation about the unimagined beauty of Heaven, challenged them to store up treasures there, and reminded them to be sure that their names are written in the Book of Life.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Today Pastor Wesley was going through the forms preparing some to take to the American Embassy for the Consular to look over. He was to advise us before submitting adoption applications officially. It was noticed that one of the names on the paperwork was recorded incorrectly.As a result, most of my ministry activity today involved retyping this form and formatting it so that it could be signed and notarized (and would be in proper order) and not hinder a future adoption.In addition to this, I wrote other letters for Pastor Wesley and we prepared my Observation/Recommendation Letter which I emailed to many different parties interested in the ministries of Greater Love Bible Baptist Church (including my church, World Orphans, Addy's Hope Adoption Agency, Liberian Ministries, and other helpful friends).

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Today I was called to fill in some of the information into the Relinquishment Papers (Pastor Wesley prefers my penmanship). I have received several responses to my Observation/Recommendation Letter. One of the realities of working with a national missionary is the need to witness and convey his vision and desires. Pastor Wesley initailly made contact with our church, but much of the growth of contacts (and potential partners) is due to the witness and writings of Americans.

Though Pastor Wesley could correcty distinguish a relevant need and have the desire to meet it (and even know a group to whom the letter should be addressed), the fact that the letter was sent by an outsider (an American, a witness) may bring about a much more effective response. Many people would question the validity, relevance, or zeal of someone who honestly requested gifts for their ministry. A witness helps break down some of those hurdles to generosity.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Today we went to the National Police Department to have some of the Relinquishment Papers notarized. Cautious of possible difficulties that could arise in a land of varying fee structures, it was thought best if I wait outside the area where business was being conducted. In this way, we would not need to wonder if a payment was adversely affected by the perception that more money could be squeezed from a transaction involving a white man. We also attempted to a visit with Bellview Airlines about my ticket confirmation and the American Embassy to see the Consular concerning paperwork. We will have to do these things tomorrow as my ticket was not with us and Wednesday is a busy day for the Consular. This evening we had Bible Study and began discussing Second Peter. Most of the time was spent discussing a question of Eternal Security, Sonship, Fellowship, and the Proper Weight of Right Living and Confession.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Today we went to confirm my ticket and to get additional advice and recommendations from the Consular concerning the adoption papers, etc. I was once again reminded of the intense amount of paperwork and tedious work involved in adoption. Today was also a day spent reviewing many new emails received concerning new/old partnerships and trying to get facts straight and work together. With so many different individuals involved working in Liberia, a National Missionary, and others concerned, it is needful to stay open and protect those who are honest from being lumped together with others who have failed to keep their promises.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Today Pastor Wesley and I were invited to attend the Rotary Club of Monrovia. This group was comprised of leaders in the Government and those from the private sector. As well, there were other visitors (i.e. a woman from Mercy Ships). Those who join this club learn about each other's strengths and better cooperated to help the community. We happened into their business meeting, but some other interesting events occurred as well.

We heard about their involvement (through fund-matching with individuals and Rotary Clubs from other nations) in the digging of wells, latrines, and the opening of Reading Rooms. Today, they also formally donated a Land Rover to Mercy Ships.Pastor Wesley and I discussed the drilling of a well for the Children's Home with some of the members. I enjoyed hearing about this group and their partnership with others to help Liberia.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Today we returned to the Greater Love Children's Home. According to the agreement signed last Friday, it should have now conatined a completed 5-bedroom Boy's Dormitory. Unfortunately, these are minor problems with some of the labor and other things (such as the window bars and white-washing) were not even begun yet. Hopefully, the workers will keep to their agreement and finish the building without leaving the project or causing trouble.

Better news: I was able to spend lots of time with the children listening to the twenty verses they had memorized and seeing other improvements at the school. I was able to help James with his subraction homework and was pleased with some new posters on the wall--telling about colors.The school is not comparable to U.S. schools, but it is a place where the children are learning and there are already 25 community students registered for the upcoming semester.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Today was my last Sunday at Greater Love Bible Baptist Church. Today's Sunday School began with seven in attendance, but grew to 26 as others arrived. The lessons discussed today were from 2 Peter 3-4. This focused on the promise that has given us everything we need for Life and Godliness. God is not in the Business of Impressing People. God gives life, food, and protection, but people want something mystical. Pastor Wesley: "Don't be looking for miracles; be thankful for daily provision."

The sermon today was on Moses. The Scripture Reading was Exodus 8:25. The Lesson I understood was how God would totally deliver them from theri slavery, but first they had to be willing to leave Egypt--taking everything and everyone. God delivered them and was with them, but they still doubted. The three Wesley sisters sang a special song and the church said 'Goodbye' to me.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Today the electricity was down at Pastor Wesley's house. We went to the hotel to check and talk with them about their problem with the generator. After returning home, I read more of the Book of Exodus and played with Little Robert.Pastor Wesley was out for a few hours checking email and gettin his hair cut. Later, the rest of the children came home and we spent more time together.

Later tonight, Amos and Powers came to talk about some of the school fees required of them.


Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Today is my last full day in Liberia. As a result many people from the church are coming to give me presents and letters to take concerning their hopes for the future (or to sponsors or family members in America).

Deacon George gave me an African shirt; Zay Zay gave me an African bracelet and necklace; Representatives from the Greater Love Bible Baptist Church presented me with an entire outfit complete with a hat and extended their gratitude for my willingness and courage to go to Liberia--accompanied by my parents' lack of reservation in sending me.

I interviewed the Wesley children and heard some of Pastor Wesley's thoughts on traditional Liberian religions. Once again we spent time talking about my transition into adulthood and the work that I have been able to help with. Even though I am young, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I am blazing a trail for others' future trips. Some may have already gone, but were were scared or busy.

I repeatedly feel honored and loved beyond anything I have earned or deserve.

God works--even if I am unsure, skeptical, selfish, homesick, confused, or ...even have negative thoughts. God's truth has been with me and fought the battle for me. Oh, nothing natural could explain why I have felt so angry, upset, and confused. People are nice and I am protected--and in the midst, I felt hate, ingratitude, and selfishness.

The truth is: God always triumphs and works through all things He allows.


Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ready to be home, but enjoying this leg of the trip. Though the plane was late, I didn't mind because I knew this time in Accra would be more than enough.

I am witnessing a new father, Matt (22), who is with REACH THE CHILDREN. He adopted Abraham, 2, from Liberia and now his wife is pregnant. I saw him in the office when Pastor Wesley and I were at the Ministry of Health applying for the adoption license. I had wondered what his story was.

I have been very interested in white people I see--especially those in their teens and 20's. One group at a restaurant was from Mercy Ships. I wondered what could bring them to Africa? Where are they in their life's journey. Although I don't want to compare myself too much, it is helpful to hear what steps young adults are taking and to consider the results of those steps.

More to transcribe: Auto-biographical sketch, Interviews with the Wesley Children

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home